25 years after the world wide web was invented, 100 million European have still never visited the Internet - that will have to change in the coming years. I am sure my successors Andrus Ansip and Günther Oettinger will be able to get there with your input.
Advice from a new thinker will be published here each day for the next 40 days - so bookmark the page and take your digital coffee with us each morning until 1 November.
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt launches the series. Future contributors will include former President of Latvia Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga. Presisdent of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy, internet founder Vint Cerf, globally renowned architect Rem Koolhaas and members of the Obama Administration.
Digital Minds Contributing To This Series
1. Introduction - Boosting Digital Europe by Neelie Kroes, Vice President, European Commission
2. Embracing a new digital era in Europe by Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Google
3. Through the looking glass of the digitised society by Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga, President of the Club de Madrid and former President of Latvia
4. Europe cannot lag behind by Zaryn Dentzel, Founder and CEO of Tuenti, Spain's largest social network and mobile multiplatform
5. Five principles for the digital age by Sir Martin Sorrell, Founder and CEO of WPP, the global advertising and marketing services group
6. The Networked Society by Saskia van Uffelen, Belgian Digital Champion, CEO at Ericsson Belux
8. Boosting Digital Europe by Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council
9. Why We Need Open Knowledge Societies by Rufus Pollock, Founder of Open Knowledge
10. Cyber security as a creator of real value for Europe’s economy by Dr. Reinhard Ploss, CEO at Infineon Technologies AG
11. The Gigabit Gap and some thoughts on how to bridge it by René Obermann, CEO of Ziggo
12. Big Digital Science – a roadmap for the brain by Henry Markram & Richard Frackowiak & Karlheinz Meier, Co-directors of The Human Brain Project
13. A Modern Approach to Maximizing Spectrum Utility and Economic Value by Mark Gorenberg, Member of the US President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST), Founder of Zetta Venture Partners.
14: Embracing the digital era to ensure Europe’s competitiveness by Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of World Economic Forum
15: Re-Imagining the role of government in the Cyber Age by Jane Holl Lute, President and CEO of the Council on Cybersecurity
16. Seizing the digital opportunity by Ben Verwaayen, Partner at Keen Venture Partners London, various board memberships in US, India and the Netherlands
17. A vision for a European Cloud by Robert Verwaayen, Founder of Keen Venture Partners
18. Making European Cities Smarter by Roland Busch, Global CEO of Siemens Infrastructure and Cities
19. Education in Europe in the digital age by Lord Puttnam of Queensgate C.B.E.
20. Innovation and big data are the keys to unlocking Europe's economy by Ron Mobed, CEO Elsevier
21. Interactive Landscape by Daan Roosegaarde, Innovator and artist, founder of Studio Roosegaarde
22. e-Government: a mentality shift and change of culture by Michał Boni, Member of European Parliament, former Polish Minister of Administration and Digitization
23. Europe's future in the digital age: three paths to explore by Maurice Lévy, Chairman & CEO of Publicis Groupe
24. Human society in a digital world by Neelie Kroes and Carl-Christian Buhr, European Commission
25. A Better Europe is a Digital Europe: the digital opportunity ahead of us by Jim Hagemann Snabe, former Co-CEO SAP
26. Visions for education in the new digital era by Irina Bokova, by Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
27. No One Left Behind by Baroness Martha Lane-Fox, Chair of Go ON UK, the Digital Skills Alliance
28. It's Time to Disrupt Europe: Digital First by Kumardev Chatterjee, Founder and President, European Young Innovators Forum
29. (Em)powering a Digital Europe by Peter Terium, CEO of RWE AG
30. The Next Wave of the Internet by John Chambers, Chairman and CEO, Cisco Systems
31. The Dawn of Cognition by Steve Furber, ICL Professor of Computer Engineering at the University of Manchester
32. Internet governance is our shared responsibility by Vint Cerf, Chief Internet Evangelist at Google, co-architect of the Internet
33. Digitisation and Democracy: The challenges of shaping the Digital Society by Prof.Dr. Jeanette Hofmann
35. Cloud computing in Europe: putting the power in the hands of the customer by Werner Vogels, CTO and Vice-President of Amazon
36. Connected Commerce: Creating a More Inclusive and Prosperous Economy by John Donahoe, President and Chief Executive Officer, eBay Inc.
37. A New Privacy Paradigm by Gerard Grech, CEO, Tech City UK
38. Why we need high speed broadband in Europe NOW by Werner Hoyer, President of the European Investment Bank
39. Europe has media diversity – but at what cost? by Christian Van Thillo, CEO of De Persgroep
40. The Smart, Skilled European Digital Economy by Baroness Joanna Shields, Digital Advisor to British Prime Minister
41. Research in the digital age by Robbert Dijkgraaf, Director and Leon Levy Professor at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, and President of the InterAcademy Partnership
42. Digital challenges and policy making by Pilar del Castillo, Member of the European Parliament, Chair of the European Internet Forum
43. Shaping an Interconnected World, Sharing a China EU Common Dream by Lu Wei, Minister for Cyberspace Administration of the People's Republic of China
44. My thoughts on the smart city by Rem Koolhaas, architect and professor
45. Inclusiveness, the art of dialogue, and the search for truth in the digital era by Archbishop Celli, President of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications
46. Beyond Market Failures: shaping and creating the digital market by Mariana Mazzucato, RM Phillips Professor in the Economics of Innovation, SPRU, University of Sussex
47. A Start-Up State of Mind by Neelie Kroes and Sigrid Johannisse, European Commission