EU-USA co-operation in transport
During his first visit to Washington as Commissioner in charge of transport, Vice-President Siim Kallas met top US officials on 22-24 September to discuss general transport policy issues of mutual interest and to prepare for the general assembly of the UN's International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in Montreal. A central issue in the discussions was the mutual interest to find a solution within ICAO on a global framework to reduce aviation emissions.
Concerning the bilateral EU-US transport relations, Vice-President Kallas asked for further integration of the transatlantic aviation market based on the EU-US Air Transport Agreement signed in June this year. In the meeting with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Vice-President Kallas achieved significant progress regarding the communication on aviation security emergency amendments. While the visit had a focus on aviation, the potential for cooperation in other modes of transport was addressed in the meeting with US Secretary of Transportation, Ray LaHood. For example, the US Administration and US Congressmen expressed strong interest in the European high-speed rail system.
Agenda of Vice-President Kallas' visit to Washington
- Meeting with Janet Napolitano, US Secretary of Homeland Security on EU-US cooperation in aviation security
- Meeting with Ray LaHood, US Secretary of Transportation on EU-US cooperation in transport issues
- Meeting with Randy Babbitt, Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration on preparation of ICAO Assembly and cooperation in aviation safety and air traffic management
- Meeting with Rep. James Oberstar, Chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on transport policy issues
- Meeting with Robert Hormats, Under Secretary of State for Economic, Energy and Agricultural Affairs, US Department of State on EU-US cooperation in transport issues
- Meeting with Rep. Thomas Petri, Ranking Member of the House Aviation Subcommittee on US legislative developments in aviation
- Speech at the International Aviation Club on "The Future of Transatlantic Relations in Air Transport"
- Roundtable Discussion with US Chamber of Commerce on transport policy issues