Study on Protecting Migrants and Combating Trafficking: Building an Information and Knowledge Base for Policy Support on International Migration in the Gulf Council States
2007/129868 - AENEAS
Countries/Regions - Bahrain, Kuwait, Dubai
Main Implementing partner
International Labour Organisation (ILO), Italy
230.000 € (180.000€ of EU contribution)
College of Graduate Studies, University of Sharjah (U.A.E.), Kuwait Economic Society, Department of Sociology at the University Of Qatar (Associate)
Objectives and results
The project addressed smuggling and trafficking in human beings. The following activities were undertaken:
- Promotion of basic migrant workers’ rights
- Improvement of the collection of information on vulnerable migrant workers
- Building a research network to collect and collate information on different aspects of migrant workers’ lives and working conditions with a view to making this information available to the academic and policy-making community
Further expected results of the action related to the implementation of international standards by the government.
A final conference to present the comprehensive study and the country papers was held in Kuwait City on 5 December 2010 under the title "Protecting Temporary Expatriate Contract Workers in GCC countries: defining a policy agenda".
Publications and other resources
Two country studies plus two papers reviewing the regulatory frameworks governing labour migration in the UAE and Kuwait were prepared and on that basis a team based at the ILO Regional Office for the Arab States prepared a comprehensive study.
Ms. Audrey Le Guével, ILO-Brussels - email@example.com
- 8th EU Anti Trafficking Day Dates: 18/10/2014 - 22/10/2014
- Trafficking in Human Beings for the Purpose of Organ Removal Dates: 21/11/2014 - 21/11/2014
- People as a commodity: Trafficking in Human Beings in Europe Dates: 09/12/2014 - 09/12/2014
- more+ »