Migration & Crime Conference
Immigration and Naturalisation Service, Netherlands
€ 84 000€ (€ 50 000 of EU support)
October 2007 — July 2008
State Agency for Refugees, Bulgaria; Migration Directorate of the Ministry of Interior, Bulgaria; Office for Repatriation and Aliens, Poland; Department for Asylum and Migration, Czech Republic; Department for Immigration affairs, Italy; Border and Immigration Agency, UK
Objectives and results
The project helped strengthen the commitment and involvement of immigration services from 33 countries to more efficiently fighting illegal migration and trafficking in human beings.
The project consisted of research, a conference held on 19-20 June 2008 in Sofia and a comparative analysis of existing policy frameworks and procedures in place in the Member States. The project was implemented under the auspices of the General Directors Immigration Services Conference (GDISC) network.
The study ‘Migration and Crime with a special focus on inter-agency cooperation’ identified the means, structures and arrangements in place for inter-agency cooperation between the immigration services and law enforcement and border control agencies at both national and international level.
The evaluation has identified gaps, especially with regard to vulnerable groups, where closer practical cooperation by immigration services should be established to help prevent and fight against illegal migration and crime.
Publications and other resources
- Comparative study ‘Migration and Crime with a special focus on inter agency cooperation’
- Final conclusions of the conference in Sofia available at http://www.gdisc.org/index.php?id=544&tx_gdiscdb_pi1%5bshowUid%5d=58&cHash=73f889f66a
Lisette Vonk, Immigration and naturalisation Service, Ministry of Justice, Netherlands – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Second meeting of the EU Civil Society Platform against Trafficking in Human Beings Dates: 09/12/2013 - 10/12/2013
- Trafficking in human beings within the European Union: the Slavery of 21st Century Dates: 10/12/2013 - 10/12/2013
- 8th European Forum on the rights of the child Dates: 17/12/2013 - 18/12/2013
- more+ »