High Level Group (HLG) on wine planting rights
The HLG serves as a forum of discussion to assess different aspects of the functioning of the transitional planting rights regime in specific Member States and regions, as well as the effects of the end of the regime for the wine sector and wine market
Background and objectives
On 19 January 2012 Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Dacian Cioloş announced publicly the decision to establish a High Level Group (HLG) on wine planting rights.
This decision followed the concerns expressed by a large majority of wine-producing Member States (MS), several European Parliament (EP) MEPs and certain sectorial organisations, related to the non-extension of the transitional planting rights regime at EU level beyond 31 December 2015.
The aim of the HLG is to organize a forum of discussion to assess different aspects of the functioning of the transitional planting rights regime in specific Member States and regions, as well as the effects of the end of the regime for the wine sector and wine market.
The HLG is composed of representatives of all 27 MS as well as of key stakeholder organisations at European level:
- COPA, COGECA, ECVC (all three representing farmers)
- EFOW (wines with geographical indication)
- FoodDrinkEurope (industry)
- CELCAA (wine traders)
Four meetings, chaired by the Commission's Director General for Agriculture and Rural Development, were held during 2012: on 19 April, 6 July, 21 September and 14 December. Three observers from the EP's secretariat, the Council's secretariat and Croatia were also present.
The HLG received permanent contributions from the key stakeholder groups in the EU wine sector during the meetings. Furthermore, the HLG received valuable contributions from invited academic and professional experts, MS representatives and DG Agriculture and Rural Development.
The following issues were addressed by the HLG:
- the current functioning of the planting rights regime at EU and MS levels;
- the effects of the end of the planting rights regime for the wine sector and market;
- the outline of a future EU regulatory framework for vine plantings.
1st meeting (19 April 2012)
Agenda [133 KB]
Presentations and working documents:
- "Wine CMO reform of 2008: main outcomes and implementation": Presentation [2 MB]
- "The EU system of Planting Rights: main rules and effectiveness": Presentation [2 MB] - Working document [336 KB]
- "The functioning of the planting rights system in Romania": Presentation [3 MB]
- "The functioning of the planting rights system in France": [282 KB]
- "The functioning of the planting rights system in Germany": Presentation [2 MB]
- "The functioning of the planting rights system in Spain": Presentation [272 KB]
2nd meeting (6 July 2012)
Agenda [127 KB]
Presentations and working documents:
- "The functioning of the planting rights regime in Member States": Presentation [4 MB]
- "Middle term projections for the world wine market 2012-2020": Presentation [814 KB]
- "EU wine sector competitiveness: global wine trends and outlook": Presentation [818 KB]
- "'Wines of Chile' – Chilean Strategic Plan 2020": Working document [396 KB]
3rd meeting (21 September 2012)
Agenda [129 KB]
Presentations and studies:
- "Etude sur les impacts socio‐économiques et territoriaux de la libéralisation des droits de plantations viticoles": - [3 MB] - Synthesis [853 KB] [702 KB]
- "The liberalisation of planting rights": Presentation [249 KB] - Full text
- "Regional effects of the end of the planting rights regime": Presentation [4 MB]
4th meeting (14 December 2012)
Agenda [23 KB]
- Presentation of a note by 14 Member States [101 KB]
- Presentation of a note by 3 Member States [39 KB]
- Reflections on an authorisations system [114 KB]
Speeches and press releases
19/04/2012: "Relever les défis de la qualité et du revenu des producteurs" - Speech by Commissioner Dacian Cioloş at the 1st HLG meeting
21/09/2012: "Elements of reflection by the Commission on the future management of vine's plantations" - Speech by Director-General José Manuel Silva Rodriguez at the 3rd HLG meeting
21/09/2012: Video statement (in French) by Roger Waite, Commission Spokesman for Agriculture
14/12/2012: High Level Group on Wine formulates its conclusions - Press release (also available in DE, ES, FR, IT)