Transnational cooperation between rural areas
The “European Wilderness Challenge” project:
the key phases
- 1989: first “Raid Gauloises” held in New Zealand.
- 1993: meeting of the Western Isles and Skogslandet groups at a
“Directoria” in Brussels. This leads to the first LEADER cooperation
in the field of teleworking.
- 1994: first “Western Isles Challenge” held in the Hebrides,
- 1996: third Western Isles Challenge - the Scottish LEADER group
feels the need to create a circuit of multisport competitions with
other European areas. Skogslandet is the perfect partner.
- 1997: the Greek LAG of Kalabaka-Pyli (Thessalia) joins the two
Scottish and Swedish LEADER groups
- November 1997: meeting of the three partners at the LEADER symposium
- May 1998: meeting of the three partners on the Hebrides islands in
the presence of international experts on adventure racing,
sponsoring and the organisation of events.
- July 1998: meeting of the three partners in Sweden - 7 teams from
Scandinavia participate in the first 400 km trial competition
- September 1998: meeting of the three partners in Greece.
- May 1999: additional meeting of the three partners on the Hebrides
- July 1999: “TEO 99”, first adventure race between Narvik and Luleĺ
source: LEADER Magazine nr.21 - Autumn, 99