"Towards a long-term strategy for European agricultural research and innovation by 2020 and beyond" (Expo Milano, 19/06/2015)
The European Commission organised a workshop to launch the discussion on the future of European agricultural research and innovation until 2020 and, beyond, for the following decade.
The workshop was a first step towards a bigger agricultural research and innovation conference which will take place in Brussels on 26-28 January 2016.
Jerzy Plewa, European Commission's Director-General for Agriculture and Rural Development, opened the workshop.
The objective of this workshop was two-fold:
- Kick-start the discussion on a long-term strategy for the future of EU agriculture research and innovation which is highly needed to address the challenges of tomorrow in a consistent and efficient way;
- Contribute to the discussion and outcomes of EXPO on 'Feeding the planet – energy for life' by providing views on agricultural research and innovation priorities.
>> Read the programme [2 MB]
A background paper had been prepared to provide initial food for thought for the discussion at the workshop. First reactions to the ideas put forward in this background paper are still welcome using a dedicated on-line survey (until 3 July).
>> Read the background paper [731 KB]
- Introduction [396 KB] (Ann Tutwiler)
- Opening speech: "A long-term and strategic approach to research programming in agriculture" [696 KB] (Jerzy Plewa) - see also a longer version [2 MB] detailing priorities
- Keynote speech: "Looking forward: challenges and trends to factor in a long-term strategy for agricultural R&I by 2020 and beyond?" [573 KB] (Erik Mathijs)
Session 1: A research agenda to produce more sustainably
- "A more resource-efficient agriculture" [723 KB] (John R. Porter)
- "Agro-ecology: how can this approach support research and development of agri-food systems?" [3 MB] (Niels Halberg)
- "Healthier plants and livestock" [3 MB] (Marta Hugas)
Session 2: A research agenda for innovative rural areas
- "New openings for rural growth" [2 MB] (Richard Wakeford)
- "Developing the human and social capital" [255 KB] (Krijn Poppe)
>> Watch the video recording of the workshop (move forward to 1:23:00 to watch the workshop from the start)
>> To read social media posts related to this event use #EU_AgriResearch and/or #EIPagri, #EUExpo2015, #H2020