"Agriculture – the way towards sustainability and inclusiveness" (European Commission side event at the Rio+20 Conference)
"Agriculture – the way towards sustainability and inclusiveness", organised by the European Commission as a side event at the Rio+20 Conference, took place on 21 June 2012 in Rio de Janeiro.
In order to feed 2 billion more people by 2050, and as climate change contributes to depleting land and water resources, we will have to produce more food with fewer resources. Sustainable agriculture will help us to face today’s challenges, both in Europe and in the world as a whole.
The European Commission organised a joint high-level side event at the Rio Summit of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development. This side event outlined the important role that sustainable agricultural practices and supporting policies can play in order to reduce poverty, hunger and malnutrition, advance social equity and ensure environmental protection, and thereby contribute to sustainable development.
The EU Common Agricultural Policy has undergone substantial changes since its early days and has become a policy that helps agriculture respond to the requirements of sustainable development. We are making our agriculture greener, so that scarce resources can be managed more effectively thanks to innovation, and ensuring the continued existence of our production base, while enhancing rural livelihoods.
Investment in sustainable and inclusive agriculture and the development of supportive policies are also at the core of EU development policy. Sustainable agriculture is key for poverty reduction and food and nutrition security and long-term and inclusive growth, especially in developing countries, due to its strong multiplier impact on other sectors.
This side event also provided an opportunity for prominent speakers to share experiences and visions from Brazil and the African Union. In order to showcase best practices, closing speeches by high-level representatives of key farmers' organisations presented their views and on-the-ground experiences regarding sustainable and organic agriculture.
- "Europe's path to sustainable agriculture", Dacian Cioloş, EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development
- "The role of inclusive agriculture in the context of 'An agenda for change'", Andris Piebalgs, EU Commissioner for Development
- "The African Union's policy on sustainable agriculture" [29 KB] , Rhoda Tumusiime, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture of the African Union
Presentations on best practices
- "The role of smallholder farmers in sustainable agriculture" [2 MB] , Elisabeth Atangana, President of the Pan-African Farmers' Forum (PAFFO)
- "Sustainable and organic agriculture in practice" [3 MB] , Andre Leu, President International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements (IFOAM)