Workshop "European Agribusiness in Africa: Opportunities and challenges" (Brussels, 10/04/2013)
>> Go to the programme [4 MB]
This workshop was organised by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development in collaboration with the Directorate-General Development and Cooperation – EuropeAid.
The objective of the workshop was to assess the potential of Africa-EU business cooperation to support the development of agri-food enterprises in Africa as a means of strengthening food security and creating wealth in rural communities across the continent.
Agri-food chains in Africa need to be upscaled, but in order to achieve this the right framework conditions need to be in place. In this context the workshop looked at the various components of agriculture food chains – from enhancing productivity at farm level, to upgrading value chains by empowering farmers' organisations and integrating them in strategic partnerships. It looked at how to respond to local, regional and international demand by adding value to commodities and at the roles of research, technology and innovation in the food chain, as well as access to finance, models of Public Private Partnerships, and the state of the (rural) infrastructure.
The workshop brought together stakeholders from Africa and Europe, representing Governments, the private sector, civil society and academia and think tanks.
Panel 1: Doing Business in Africa - Win-Win Opportunities for European and African agri food chains
Case studies: Successful Africa-EU agribusiness partnerships
- Ben Valk, Global Head, Multilateral Development Banks and Government Relations, Rabobank Group [617 KB]
- Guy Stinglhamber, Brussels Office Director, Europe-Africa-Caribbean-Pacific Liaison Committee- Programme PIP (COLEACP PIP) [2 MB]
Panel 2: Methods and Instruments: Approaches and Challenges: How to elaborate a new strategic, sector wide approach between Public and Private Partners in agribusiness
- Benjamin Luig, Advisor Agricultural Policies, CIDSE - Catholic International Cooperation for Development and Solidarity and CONCORD [93 KB]
- Francesco Rampa, Programme Manager for Food Security, European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM) [423 KB]
Panel 3: Designing an Agribusiness Index - What will this mean for responsible action and policy in African agribusiness?
- Thomas Elhaut, Director of Statistics and Studies for Development Division International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) [829 KB]
- Boaz Blackie Keizire, Technical Advisor and Implementation Specialist, Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) [674 KB]