With the Rural Development component of the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance - IPA, candidate countries will be assisted through a particular instrument called IPARD - Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance in Rural Development.
The objective of IPARD is two-fold:
- to provide assistance for the implementation of the acquis concerning the Common Agricultural Policy
- to contribute to the sustainable adaptation of the agricultural sector and rural areas in the candidate country.
These objectives are to be met by implementation of 9 different measures under 3 priority axes:
Axis 1 - Improving Market Efficiency and Implementing Community Standards
- Investments in agricultural holdings to restructure and upgrade to the EU standards
- Investments in processing and marketing of agriculture and fishery products to restructure and upgrade to the EU standards
- Supporting the setting up of producer groups
Axis 2 - Preparatory actions for implementation of the agri-environmental measures and Leader
- Preparation for implementation of actions relating to environment and the countryside
- Preparation and implementation of local rural development strategies
Axis 3 - Development of the Rural Economy
- Improvement and development of rural infrastructure
- Development and diversification of rural economic activities
- Technical assistance