European Innovation Partnership
EIP focus group on animal husbandry (reduction of anti-biotic use in the pig sector)
Reports from the focus group:
- Starting paper [712 KB]
- Report from Focus Group on the reduction of antibiotics in the pig sector [40 KB] (11/2013)
- Animal husbandry: reducing antibiotics in pig sector [174 KB] (10/2013)
Tasks of the focus group:
- Develop and explore integrated strategies to reduce the use of anti-biotics to protect health and welfare (more and more multi-resistant bacteria strains occur in both animals and humans).
- List good practices.
- Looking at alternative treatments (e.g. adapted housing systems, feeding, use of herbs).
- Analysing the economic implications cost/benefit, competitiveness, risk).
Analysing veterinary aspects.
- Analysing the impact of genetics and the chain from food processors to the consumer.
- Exploring the scope for cross fertilisation to dairy/poultry practices.
Members of the focus group:
- Derek Armstrong, Ireland
- Torben W. Bennedsgaard, Denmark
- Laura Boyle, Ireland
- David Burch, United Kingdom
- Bogdan Debski, Poland
- Jeroen Dewulf, Belgium
- Christelle Fablet, France
- Edgar Garcia Manzanilla, Spain
- Jürgen Harlizius, Germany
- Isabel Hennig-Pauka, Germany
- Miguel Angel Higuera, Spain
- Nicole Kemper, Germany
- Marion Kluivers, Netherlands
- Thomas Lemoine, France
- Annette Cleveland Nielsen, Denmark
- Giovanna Parmigiani, Italy
- Pedro Rubio Nistal, Spain
- Dieter Schillinger, Germany
- Anne Wingstrand, Denmark
- Rosanna Wregor, Sweden