"The CAP post 2013", Conference on the public debate, Brussels, 19-20 July 2010
The aim of the conference was to bring together the varied elements of contributions presented during the public debate period and to provide the opportunity for further discussion around the following broad themes:
- Why do we need a common agricultural policy?
- What do citizens expect from agriculture?
- Why reform the CAP?
- What tools do we need for the CAP of tomorrow?
The conference was also an important step in the Commission's preparations for a Communication to be issued later in the year that will prepare the ground for proposals for the CAP post-2013.
The programme included the following topics:
- Public contribution to the debate on the CAP post-2013 ( Summary report [358 KB] - Executive summary of contributions [179 KB] );
- Public opinion on the CAP (Results of the Eurobarometer survey);
- panel discussions with leading experts, representatives from think tanks, stakeholders and NGOs, representatives of the food chain and European institutions;
- workshops and open debates dedicated to food security, maintaining EU food production capacity, provision of public goods through agriculture, preserving the environment and the countryside, maintaining the viability of rural areas, promoting quality and diversity of food, nutrition and health.
Programme [3 MB] (trilingual: English - French - German)
Workshops: Slide shows
Closing reports by the conference rapporteurs: - Alan Matthews [70 KB][56 KB]