These briefs cover a range of issues of relevance to the current CAP reform. They include policy briefs, which look at evolution of policy and direction of reform and economic briefs on such topics as the structure of farming and rural issues, farm income, costs, markets and trade.
Agricultural Policy Perspectives Briefs
- No 5: "Overview of CAP reform 2014-2020" (12/2013)
This brief gives an overview of the 2013 reform of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). It improves the CAP framework for addressing the challenges of the 21st century.
- No 4: "The future of rural development policy" (01/2011)
This Brief looks at rural development policy and what may be improved in the future.
- No 3: "The future of CAP market measures" (01/2011)
This Brief focuses on agricultural markets and tools to manage market risks, comparing the current system of market measures with other tools available.
- No 2: "The future of CAP direct payments" (01/2011)
This Brief looks at the role of the payments in providing basic income support and ensuring the delivery of public goods, how payments are distributed and implications of possible changes to the current system.
- No 1: "The CAP in perspective: from market intervention to policy innovation" - revised version (01/2011)
This Brief takes you through the policy developments of the EU's CAP since 1992 and looks at the challenges for the future CAP.
EU Agricultural Economic Briefs
- No 7: "Women in EU agriculture and rural areas: hard work, low profile" (06/2012)
This Brief attempts to examine gender equality in the rural areas of the EU, focussing on the agricultural sector.
- No 6: "Generational renewal in EU agriculture: statistical background" (06/2012)
This Brief takes a closer look at the agricultural labour force, with a view to describe the situation across the EU-27 and to underpin the need for continued policy support for generational renewal.
- No 5: "Rural areas and the Europe 2020 strategy: employment" (11/2011)
Employment is a key element of the EU's Europe 2020 strategy.
- No 4: "Rural areas and the Europe 2020 strategy: education" (10/2011)
This Brief examines the latest statistics on school dropout rates among the people aged 18-24 years and the percentage of people aged 30-34 years with tertiary education in the EU-27. It focuses on the situation in rural areas and their degree of achieving the targets of the Europe 2020 strategy.
- No 3: "Structural change in agriculture" (09/2011)
Structural change in agriculture is a complex phenomenon involving multiple and interlinked driving factors.
- No 2: "What is a small farm?" (07/2011)
This Brief looks at different criteria which could be used to define 'small farms', depending on the purpose of the analysis.
- No 1: "Poverty in rural areas of the EU" (05/2011)
This Brief examines the latest statistics on the number and percentage of people at risk of poverty in the EU, focusing on thinly populated (rural) areas, and analyses the risk for different age groups and gender.
Farm Economics Briefs
- No 2: "EU production costs overview" (07/2011)
This Brief presents key findings on EU production costs for the major agricultural sectors: cereals, dairy and beef.
- No 1: "Income developments in EU farms" (06/2011)
This Brief analyses income developments of EU farms over the last decade.
Agricultural Markets Briefs
- No 1: "High commodity prices and volatility … what lies behind the roller coaster ride?" (06/2011)
This Brief looks at recent factors driving price developments in agricultural markets over the long term.
Monitoring Agri-trade Policy Newsletter
- No 1/12: "Agricultural trade in 2011: still holding strong" (05/2012)
2011 was another year of strong EU agricultural export performance in value terms, resulting in all-time high sales. Imports were on the up as well.
- No 1/11: "Global and EU agricultural exports rebound" (05/2011)
The focus of this MAP is that EU agricultural trade bounced back in 2010, with record exports.