Presentation: Medium-term prospects for agricultural markets and income: overall positive for 2013-2023
Prospects for EU commodity markets are favourable for the period 2013-2023, according to the European Commission's latest Medium-term Prospects made public last week.
Main findings can be summarized as follows:
- The medium-term forecast for arable crops is relatively positive, thanks to solid world demand and firm prices.
- The EU meat sector is expected to be supported by strong demand on the world market, while prospects of economic recovery should also allow for a higher consumption in Europe.
- Poultry meat will remain the most dynamic segment and pork Europe's favourite meat, while the decline in beef and sheep meat consumption is projected to continue.
- Forecasts for milk and dairy commodities are favourable on both the world and domestic market, while the cheese sector is expected to be boosted by a dynamic world market and steady growth in domestic demand.
- Agricultural income in the EU is expected to grow, although more as a result of the continuing decline in labour input rather than due to overall income growth.
Full information available here: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/markets-and-prices/medium-term-outlook/index_en.htm
Recording of technical briefing by Tassos HANIOTIS, Director, Economic analysis, perspectives and evaluation, communication, DG AGRI also available here: http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?ref=I085472